State Of The Nation
A United Nations Resource
By Kindle Gate Foundation (Advocating the Implementation of Sustainable Development Goal)
1. The programme aims to strengthen state-level systems to prevent and respond to child protection vulnerabilities and violations. System strengthening focuses on supporting the federal and six selected state governments to effectively plan, allocate resources, coordinate, monitor and evaluate child protection interventions around a common vision and legal mandate to end violence against children (including FGM/C, child marriage and school violence) and promote birth registration of all children. Combining advocacy, policy advice, technical assistance and capacity-building, key government institutions, the justice sector, civil society and communities will be able to provide comprehensive and quality child-focused services and social welfare, protective education and health services, birth registration and protection against harmful practices.
2. Child marriage interventions will be grounded in child protection systems strengthening to end violence against children and support the adoption and implementation of the National Strategic Plan to End Child Marriage in Nigeria, 2016-2021. Through joint United Nations efforts, widespread agreement on multisectoral responses (and building and testing those responses) will be generated. This will strengthen the state-level legal policy framework and build local movements against child marriage. Cross-sectoral programming convergence will address girls’ limited access to education, poverty and gender
discrimination as root causes, as well as the health risks of child marriage. UNICEF will ensure girls and boys affected by armed conflict are protected from grave violations of their rights through advocacy, coordination, capacity development, provision of supplies and technical assistance to state and non-state actors at federal, state and LGA levels to provide a minimum package of services (identification of child victims/survivors of violence, including sexual violence, and of unaccompanied/separated children; case management; referral services; reintegration of children associated with armed groups; mental health and psychosocial support; and mine-risk education). These services, currently provided in conflict-affected areas under UNICEF leadership, combined with strengthened community based mechanisms, will prevent violence and build resilience. UNICEF will continue to support the country task force on monitoring and reporting to strengthen the MRM at federal and state levels Social policy and gender equality
3. UNICEF will support implementation of the National Social Protection Policy (NSSP) and its state level adaptation. The policy, expected to be approved by the Federal Executive Council in 2017, was developed with strong support from the United Nations country team (UNCT) under UNICEF leadership. The programme will contribute to inclusive sustainable development by generating evidence on child poverty and equity, providing specific advice regarding public investment in children, analysing urban and environmental concerns affecting children, and addressing gender and other forms of discrimination.
4. UNICEF will assist federal and state ministries, departments and agencies implementing the programmes and interventions needed to realize the 16 specific measures in the NSSP (including capacity assessment and capacity-strengthening strategies). In specific cases, subject to funding and collaborating with education, health and emergency response, UNICEF will engage in limited delivery of social protection, to model critical assistance for the poorest families where children’s needs are greatest and/or government reach is limited. Cash transfers to families to address poverty, keep girls in school and postpone marriage will be tested.
5. Guided by the draft Gender Action Plan, 2018-2021, the country office has worked on unpacking gender barriers and gaps affecting programme delivery since 2015. The programme will provide guidance in gender-sensitive programme design, implementation, monitoring and documentation at sector level in education, WASH, and health.
To be continue…